I suggest you ...

Penalize those who mass follow & then drop non follows the n

With the influx of newer accounts who mass add followers something needs to be done to identify people who may have followers, but are using "blackhat" type ways to mass follow.

I've seen people running "add bots" collecting a few thousand followers, then auto-unfollowing those who don't follow back the next day. An easy http://twittercounter.com search shows a HUGE spike in follows with large 'stair step" jumps.

Often times they are growing an account at 1000%. I recommend looking at the time a user has been a member combined with looking at how fast they are growing their account and identifiying those using bots. When I look at these people's accounts most of their content is not of value as they are less courteous and more selfish on how they use twitter.

@acmephoto

38 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    acmephotoacmephoto shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • nwjerseyliznwjerseyliz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. This has been a huge problem since January when some social media consultants advised people to adopt these tactics. They aren't forming lasting connections they are just amassing more followers who won't be reading their Tweets because they haven't followed people with common interests just anyone who will follow them back through auto-follows.

Feedback and Knowledge Base